This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Should Package This support continued sync.?

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:43 AM

When I sync many toc from msdn... It spent my more than 5 days... and the PC crashed... and I must restart form begin...

Should Package This save the state of the sync process? Then can resume the sync after problem be fixed...

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM
HaoHu wrote:

When I sync many toc from msdn... It spent my more than 5 days... and the PC crashed... and I must restart form begin...

Should Package This save the state of the sync process? Then can resume the sync after problem be fixed...

I've added a new command context command "Expand This Node and All Children". This can expand and build a TOC branch without downloading files.

This will give you a file count. And you can get a ruff idea if you are going the blow the safe limit of around 10,000 files per package. Microsoft themselves never put > 10,000 files into a package.

I suspect the only reason people are crashing the application is because they are download too many files.

Last night I download 30,000 topic files (55,000 files including images) wwhich was half the Web Development section of MSDN. It created a large 0.5 GB .mshc file. 
This is too big. And it takes a couple of hours to generate the .mshc file. But it did install quite fast and viewed OK.

So please aim at 10,000 files max. And try the new 1.3.7 build.

See new Tutorial: http://packagethis.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=PackageThis%20Tutorial